Since its founding in 1947, Partner for Mental Health has an admirable record of progress in actualizing our mission and vision. This includes but is not limited to:
- Established and maintained a mental health resource directory for the area
- Provided workshops on children’s mental health issues for teachers and counselors
- Presented a range of community education events about mental illness, recovery and stigma reduction
- Established support groups targeted at specific mental health challenges such as: eating disorders, returning to the community following a psychiatric inpatient admission, and survivors of suicide
- Advocated for the development of Virginia Community Services Boards, and was a key partner in the development of Region Ten
- Established Family Services, Inc.
- Assessed conditions at the Western State Hospital in the 1980’s and advocated for quality care and community services
- Participated in founding the Central Virginia Human Resource Council
- Participated in founding the Jefferson Area Community Criminal Justice Board Task Force that provided the stimulus for current Police Training with CIT
- Participated in founding the Region Ten Wellness Recovery Taskforce, that provided stimulus for the development of the Wellness Recovery Center, one of the first crisis stabilization units in the Commonwealth
- Participated in founding the Adult Mental Health Task Force that provided the stimulus for developing the current Mental Health Coalition, a group of service providers collectively addressing unmet needs for mental health services.